Saturday 3 August 2019

Returning with a Review (ROMANOV Book Review)

It's been a long time since I've done one of these. In fact, I haven't been around much anywhere as of late. So, sorry to anyone who I've not gotten back to about various things. But I should be around once again now!

In the last few months, I've done a lot of things, including sitting exams, writing music, applying for jobs, seeing a real bandicoot, buying books, reading books, and writing...less books than I hoped. But that's okay! 😊

However, now that I am back, I'm starting off with something I don't do much of, but definitely should start doing.

Prepare to hear about one of my favourite books!




The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it. 

Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them, and he’s hunted Romanov before.

Nastya’s only chances of saving herself and her family are to either release the spell and deal with the consequences, or enlist help from Zash, the handsome soldier who doesn’t act like the average Bolshevik. Nastya has only dabbled in magic, but it doesn’t frighten her half as much as her growing attraction to Zash. She likes him. She thinks he might even like her.

That is, until she’s on one side of a firing squad . . . and he’s on the other. 

 ❖


Nadine Brandes




Nadine Brandes once spent four days as a sea cook in the name of book research. She is the author of Fawkes, Romanov, and the award-winning Out of Time Series. Her inner fangirl perks up at the mention of soul-talk, Quidditch, bookstagram, and Oreos. When she’s not busy writing novels about bold living, she’s adventuring through Middle Earth or taste-testing a new chai. Nadine, her Auror husband, and their Halfling son are building a Tiny House on wheels. Current mission: paint the world in shalom.

(You can check out Nadine's site here, at Nadine Brandes - YA Author. I recommend it. She's cool. 😜)



I mean, just looking at the cover should be enough of an explanation on why I'm in love with this book. The Russian aesthetic, fairy-tale aesthetic, and just how pretty it is?? No way could I not want to read it.

Not to mention that it's been written by one of the most amazing authors that I know, Nadine Brandes.
If you like magic, history, plot twists, amazing characters, and sweet romance, then you should definitely read this book.

I had been waiting ever since I finished Fawkes to read Romanov. The cover is gorgeous, the blurb is fantastic, and when you actually read the book, it's even better!

The more I've been reading historical fantasy, the more I've been able to appreciate how cool it is to have my two favourite things together:
1. History
2. Magic

Nadine's blended these two things together beautifully, as always, and once again has built an amazing and unique story around the true history of the Romanov family.

One of my favourite parts of books is to get to know the characters, and there are so many brilliant, raw, and real characters in those pages. Even for characters who had relatively minor roles, we got to know them and see who they were, and I think that is probably one of the things Nadine does best. Whether it was the sister-relationships, or the beautiful friendships forming between the two sides, it was realistic, deep, and heart-wrenching. I felt that I could connect with all of the characters, especially Nastya. ❤

I cannot emphasise (or flail) enough about the plot twists! Even though I know the story of the Romanov family from studying history, hearing it told in a different way and from such an engaging style meant I didn't see basically any of the plot twists coming. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't read it fast enough to find out what would happen next.

I'd definitely recommend this book, and hope that you enjoy it as much as I have!



I love reading books so much, and I love being able to help authors out. No clue why I don't write reviews more often. I guess that's a new thing to be working on.

For now, enjoy hunting down more books!


Have you read Romanov? What did you think?

6 comments:

  1. YES YES YES I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! <333 It was so good!!!
    AND YAY YOU HATH RETURNED!!! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeee yas! I loved it to bits!

      Yessss. Hopefully for
      good.

      Delete
  2. YAAAAAASSSSSS ROMANOOOOOOV!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo this book looks amazing!
    If only the state of my wallet would agree. XD XD XD
    *adds it to birthday list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing! I loved it soooo much.

      Ah, one day you must read it. *nods*

      Delete